The war inspired film makers, even during wartime, to produce cinematic adventures which has continued to engage worldwide audiences throughout seven decades. But the horror and tragedy of war has also had a steady place in the repertoire. The Of War and Remembrance reflects both approaches, presenting music that ranges from the largely romantic ‘Warsaw Concerto’ (composed by Richard Addinsell in 1941) and Casablanca (Max Steiner in 1942) via patriotic widescreen adventures such as Battle of Britain, The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare to the films and scores that focused more on human drama: The English Patient, Life Is Beautiful and Schindler’s List.
Program includes music from the following films*:
- William Walton: Battle of Britain (Guy Hamilton, 1962)
- Max Steiner: Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
- Richard Addinsell: Dangerous Moonlight (Brian Desmond Hurst, 1941)
- Gabriel Yared: The English Patient (Anthony Minghella, 1996)
- Dimitri Tiomkin: The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1966)
- Nicola Piovani: Life Is Beautiful (Robert Benigni, 1997)
- Jerry Goldsmith: MacArthur (Joseph Sargent, 1977)
- Alexandre Desplat: The Monuments Men (George Clooney, 2014)
- John Williams: 1941 (Steven Spielberg, 1979)
- Jerry Goldsmith: Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1970)
- John Williams: Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993)
- Ron Goodwin: Where Eagles Dare (Brian G. Hutton, 1968)
* All Soundtracks Live! concert programs are subject to client customization to meet your specific demands. Please contact Soundtracks Live! to discuss!
VIDEO: Richard Addinsell: Dangerous Moonlight (Brian Desmond Hurst, 1941):
VIDEO: John Williams: Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993):
SPOTIFY: Selected concert pieces (please note that arrangements may differ slightly from the versions available on Spotify).