If there is any composer whose love and passion for the cinematic medium is purely evident in his musical voice, it is John Barry (1933-2011). Best known for his playful scores and hit songs from the James Bond movies, the quintessential British composer also penned some of the most beautiful and sentimental music in the history of epic film drama, including his Oscar winning music for Out of Africa, Dances With Wolves and Born Free. Featuring outstanding arrangements by John Barry’s orchestrator, Nic Raine (who is also the suggested Soundtracks Live conductor for this concert), our concert program features a wide selection of Barry’s most famous themes, and a special mini suite devoted to his James Bond music.
Program includes music from the following films*:
- The Black Hole (Gary Nelson, 1979)
- Body Heat (Lawrence Kasdan, 1981)
- Born Free (James Hill, 1966)
- Chaplin (Richard Attenborough, 1993)
- Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
- Diamonds Are Forever (Guy Hamilton, 1971)
- From Russia With Love (Terence Young, 1963)
- Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964)
- High Road to China (Brian G. Hutton, 1983)
- King Rat (Bryan Forbes, 1965)
- The Lion in Winter (Anthony Harvey, 1968)
- Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969)
- On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (Peter Hunt, 1969)
- Out of Africa (Sydney Pollack, 1985)
- Somewhere in Time (Jeannot Swarc, 1980)
- You Only Live Twice (Lewis Gilbert, 1967)
* All Soundtracks Live! concert programs are subject to client customization to meet your specific demands. Please contact Soundtracks Live! to discuss!
Suggested Soundtracks Live! conductor for this concert: NIC RAINE
SPOTIFY: Selected concert pieces (please note that arrangements may differ slightly from the versions available on Spotify).